Amelie (1A) takes our Sustainability Soup Challenge!
"We used a fabulous soup pack from the Hornbeam Cafe to make our own leek and potato soup with roast pepper."
- 1 large leek
- 1 really big potato!
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 green banana pepper
- 2 garlic bulbs
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Fresh parsley
- First we washed everything - especially the leek - and we pre-heated the oven to 200C.
- Then we prepared our vegetables - slicing the leek, mincing the garlic, slicing the green banana pepper, and peeling and chopping the potato into small cubes.
- Heating a large stove pot, first we add a splash of oil, then the sliced leek, garlic and the green pepper. We cooked it for about 10 minutes until the leeks were very soft, stirring often.
- While this was cooking, we cut up the yellow pepper, placed it on a baking tray, sprayed a little oil and put it into the oven to roast while we made the soup (about 15 mins).
- When the leek was ready, we add the vegetable stock, potato cubes and the spices, covering the pot with a lid and leaving to simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- When the potatoes were cooked through, we used a blender to blend the soup until it was smooth and thick.
- To finish, we seasoned the soup with a little salt and pepper to taste and used some fresh parsley leaves from our garden and the roast pepper sliced into strips as a garnish. Delicious!